Whenever we reference online games we’re normally referring to video type games that we play on a computer via the internet. Some game titles are played over the internet using cell phones and video consoles, but most of the time online games means computer games that need an internet connection to be played. Simple text-based multiplayer games were the very first of these types of games as online connections were slow and expensive when these games were first introduced in the 1980s. Gradually these games became popular in the 1990s, with today’s online games featuring virtual communities, realistic graphics and multiplayer games where people will even play one to 1 or in knock out tournaments for money prizes. Most of us realize that the net could be the fastest growing market place in the real history of the world but did you realize that there surely is an on the web games sector that keeps growing 4 times faster compared to the internet overall! Yes! and it’s the “Online Skill Games” market.
There are many varieties of Online Games
A few of the various kinds of online games that exist:
1. Real time strategy games: This kind of game is focused on strategy where, for your army to fight successfully against one other internet players you’ll need to produce a casino game plan by building lots of resources
2. First person shooter: Here the players compete together someone to one. Generally in most first-person type games, the internet game allows the death match or arena type of play dragon lore. In this kind of game play the view you see is the one seen from your character’s eyes.
3. Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games (MMORPG): In this type of game every person has to help keep wanting to reach the next highest level until he has reached the most effective one written for that game and these online games can have, simultaneously, 1000s of players out of every the main globe, playing in a giant virtual world interacting against or with each other. Gamers can keep playing these types of games for months as well as years!
4. Browser type games: They are pastime games that are quick, simple and small that are played in your browser. The popular Java and Shockwave technologies are accustomed to develop these games.
5. Online skill games: An on line skill based game is a web game played in tournament format or someone to one. Each player pays an income entry fee to play with an income or merchandise prize planning to the winner or winners. The end result of each competition is based on the player’s ability and performance not luck.
How Do Online Game Companies Make Money
All games today, are playable online. How can we earn money? Here is the question that companies making the internet games have to ask themselves. Nearly all companies make single-player games that are played at home and in this the gamer needs to beat the artificial intelligence of the enemy. Today these games normally include an on the web multiplayer version which may be played against or with other Internet players. By selling their game DVD/CDs is how these companies earn their profit e.g. Warcraft 3 and Counter Strike. Advertising and promotions is how browser game companies make their money. MMORPG companies generally charge their players a monthly fee and continue to add content by programming new scenarios etc within their games e.g. Everquest 2 and World of Warcraft. Some don’t, but survive because their DVD/CD sales are high e.g. Guild Wars.
What’s the future of online games?
Soon there would have been a new entry into the internet skill games market. According for their Free Online Games Market Report they will be the first company making use of their new online skill games platform, to launch a company that encapsulates three of the newest phenomena on the web today. Online Games Entertainment, Social Networking using web 2.0 and a brand new way of marketing that has been called Social Marketing 2.0. Among the core differences with this particular new platform over the traditional models is that we the players can if we wish share in the earnings while we play our games. With the market today (2007) worth approximately $5.2 billion USD and predicted to increase in the next 3 years to over $13 billion USD that’s $412 per second and with social networking sites already reaching 45% of web users and the 4 major Instant Messengers having significantly more than 400 million users between them this potentially could be a good deal of money.